August 13, 2010

DINNER DATE WITH MYSELF @ THE STANLEY HOTEL

By now you know that if i have a day off when touring, i will explore the area i'm in. When we landed in Boulder, CO yesterday, I learned that the famous 'Stanley Hotel' was 40 miles from our hotel! Being a life-long fan of 'The Shining', I had to see it for myself. So, I spent the next 4 hours tracking down a rental car and I set out through the Colorado Mountains to the town of Estes Park. I arrived at the hotel around 7 pm and spent the evening walking and relaxing in the gorgeous building and grounds. You know, it is a common misconception that this hotel was used for the exterior shots of The Shining. It is not in the movie at all, it is in fact where Stephen King worked on his idea...in room 217. The filming took place at The Timberline Lodge in Oregon...and Stanley Kubrick built the interior set of the hotel in England! Teddy Roosevelt and 'The Unsinkable' Molly Brown have also stayed in room 217. The hotel is said to be haunted, especially the Concert Hall...which is haunted by a Lucy...great. For $50 they lock you in the Concert Hall for 5 hours and let the ghosts have their way with you. All sorts of phenomenon have been reported and captured in this building, as well as the main hotel.

I tried the restaurant, ordering Bufffalo Carpacio-i'd never had buffalo and I really liked it. Then I just sat in the lobby, reading about the Stanley's history and lost in my thoughts. To think of all the amazing people who have found inspiration/had unique experiences at this place is-my favorite sort of adventure. I'm already formulating musical ideas from my evening there...go if you can! But take a navigation of some sort, getting lost on the pitch dark curvy mountain roads was not a relaxing way to get home.




2 comments:

  1. loooove the shining. nice blog lucy. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love driving into Estes Park and seeing this glorious building acrss the lake. This is such a beautiful part of Co. right outside Rocky Mountain Natl Park. Nice to be here Lucy

    ReplyDelete