August 25, 2010

GET LOST






Yesterday was an emotionally unique day, the kind where you can feel that you need to pay attention to...something. It was two-fold and began with 'Eat Pray Love'. We've all seen the movie (the cool kids have read the book)...and we know how deeply awakening Liz Gilbert's story is. We want to 'find ourselves' asap, and dream of what it will feel like when we do. That's why her experience is so dear.

I really loved the film, my sister Grace and I had a smile on our faces the entire time-except when we were crying into our movie butter-soaked napkins. My favorite part was when she replayed her wedding dance in her mind, connecting with her husband's spirit to ease his pain. That concept of revisiting a painful moment (maybe even years later) and working it out soul-to-soul is at the core of spiritual study...and I was thrilled to see it on the screen.

Last weekend, my cousin Shanna was in a horrible motorcycle accident that left her in a coma...un-responsive and not breathing on her own. Her sister Talor, a full-time mother and career woman, put everything on pause to stay by Shanna every moment. It has been a scary week, not knowing if she would live.

Well towards the end of 'Eat Pray Love' my mom texted us to say Shanna came out of her coma!! The first thing she asked for was her sister. As if I weren't already a glorious tearful mess from the beautiful movie, now I really lost it and wept uncontrollably. As the movie ended, we had to stay in the theatre to get our blubbering out in the dark. I grabbed my sister and couldn't let go. I whispered 'If I woke up from a coma, you're the first person I'd ask for.' That's when she tore away and ran to the bathroom.

It was a powerful day in my life.

SO, on the way home, my sister had a peculiar but understandable reaction to the movie...she was bummed. Bummed that she is stuck in the working world...bummed that she can't take off for a year of global soul searching. It got me thinking about something said towards the end of the movie...our soul discovery may be external or INTERNAL. To feel connected to the Light, you do not need to drop your life and travel. You can open your mind anytime you want and create beauty out of the smallest ideas. A flower in your car, a foot bath at the end of the day, a cup of tea before bed.

To take this one step further, I do believe we are most happy when we are doing good deeds for others. We want to inspire ourselves simply to reach an open state of servitude. With that in mind, here are some more ideas that can benefit others, at the same time as yourself: (I mean, a foot bath is glorious, but completely self serving : ))

*Ask to paint someone's walls or a piece of their furniture when they need it
*Scrub the floors of your neighborhood Temple or Church
*Bake/cook for a someone as a surprise
*Write someone a random appreciation letter

All these ways of connecting and more are right under your nose for the doing. So go get lost in your own journey and never feel far from your Soul.

3 comments:

  1. I love this this message, Lucy. You and Grace are such beautiful people. I'm so happy to have reconnected with you guys. I'd love to see you sometime soon. Sending lots of love.
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bieng of service or getting out of oneself is always the best way to feel better... There is no doubt about that ....Thanks Lucy

    ReplyDelete