February 18, 2011

FACE TO FACE

Yesterday I took my keyboard and spent time with a teenager battling a serious illness. When I got there, she was very unresponsive...cold, detached and quiet. I played my own music for awhile, and kept asking her to play for me...after several tries, I finally got her to take the piano and play. SHE WAS BETTER THAN ME! She played the most beautiful classical pieces, and with more feeling than I've heard many performers. She completely came alive with energy. We played for an hour, and by the time I left, she was bright-eyed, singing, and asking me to come for another musical visit.

I left the visit so inspired that I am still beaming. What a change I had seen! What beautiful music had come out of this girl, one who at first seemed uninspired. It was such a powerful experience, for us both.

Then last night I headed to a charity event for a children's hospital. It was held at a club-type venue, with a red carpet and gifting lounge for celebrities. Fun...entertaining...but does it have anything to do REALLY with getting face-to-face with someone in need? Listen, I am all for charity events, etc...but I do have an issue with people's shallow intentions. Most people head to these 'Charity Events' for the gift bag, for the red carpet, never digging into what real charity is. I have experienced this shallow intent for years in Los Angeles, and have even been guilty of it in the past. But let me tell you, there is nothing more powerful or SIMPLE than getting face to face with someone in need, and lifting their soul. Is it scary to see people suffering? Sure! Is it uncomfortable to care about a strangers life? SURE! But after just a moment, it is the most natural thing you've ever done. THIS is real work that will change you. THIS is what matters. Don't lie to yourself and say you do charity work by making appearances.

By all means, go to your parties, your fundraising galas with the amazing gifts and red carpet photo opps. But remember, that is NOT the meat of helping people. It is easier than you think to reach someone on a personal level...one-on-one. Whether its reading to an elderly person, coloring with a child, or playing a song for someone, the opportunities are all around you. I've even included some links at the bottom of the page to help you get started.

GO SHARE YOUR LIGHT.





5 comments:

  1. Nicely done, Lucy. I see a song in your blog that is begging to be written. Keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are such an inspiration. Thank you for sharing your lightness with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music has the ability to reach people in a way that nothing else can. It's quite possible that you got through to this young lady on a level that nobody else could. It's easy as musicians to reach for goals resplendent fame and financial reward, the connection that you made with this girl goes far beyond any of those trappings. It shows that you have great enlightenment to recognize that moment for what it really is, and to think outside the "gift bag". The "biggest" gigs can be played to an audience of "one".

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a very wonderful thing you did and thank you for sharing it with us. You are mature beyond your years. I do not know you personaly, but am a fan both of your music and your spirit!

    ReplyDelete